Monday, June 9, 2008

Relay For Life & More

I found some more pictures from Calvin's birthday and wanted to get them online. We busted out one of Calvin's birthday presents a few weekends ago and took one (yes, only one) picture from the big event. He seemed to like it, but was a little hesitant at times. Silly boy!






Aiden, wearing his firetruck shirt (it matched Calvin's shirt)

Calvin & Uncle Mike

Calvin & daddy playing with his water slide

It was make a cheesy face day at the Gardner house

Mommy & Aiden (yes, that is a sorority shirt)

This is how Calvin used to sleep... how cute!

We finally found a bib that says "I Love My Aunt"



RELAY FOR LIFE: Friday, June 6-Saturday, June 7
It has become an annual tradition to participate in the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life. One of my pledge sisters in the sorority was diagnosed with breast cancer, so we decided that we would do the Relay in our college town of Bowling Green, KY. I seriously do not remember the last time I had this much fun! Most were there from the beginning of the survivor lap on Friday evening until the closing ceremony on Saturday morning. We played (I will use that term lightly) kickball, participated in a cakewalk, dance contest & various other activities. We stayed up all night, and though were not always walking on the track, someone was always doing something active. We did this for those who cannot do the above activities. It reminded all of us about the good times we had in school, and that we’re all super old now! Can you believe there has been a resurgence of the Thriller dance?! Who would’ve thought?!?! I think the highlight of the night was when I was finishing the survivor lap with one of my sorority sisters, and at the end were all the other sisters who had come there to celebrate us. We shed some tears, but laughed throughout the night. Another memorable moment was getting called out in front of the thousands of people in attendance for wearing an IU hat. Little did I know that the Western football coach was going to be the emcee and that he would be paying that much attention to the crowd. I reassured him that I would be attending the WKU-IU game in August, and that I would be wearing red, not crimson, and he seemed pleased with that. Our teamed raised a lot of money (not sure at this point how much) and had such a good time!! Below is the team picture from the event (Jamie & Kelly hadn't made it yet).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Relay was a blast. I am looking forward to attending next year!

Heather said...

I have to agree that Relay for Life was the most fun I have had in a long time. I felt young again and it brought back all the wonderful memories of the great times with my sisters. I have to say it also felt very nice to know that 2 of the sisters there with me had fought and won the battle with cancer, and that all the others that could not come had done the same. I have always felt joining AGD was one of the best decisions I ever made, and moments like this just affirm that for me. Can't wait to do it again next year!